Our U8 program is unchanged from prior years. We continue to teach age appropriate basic fundamental movement skills such as running, jumping and kicking a ball. The emphasis is on having fun while learning the basic skills.
Players should wear shorts, indoor soccer shoes, shin pads and socks which fully cover their shin pads. T-shirts are generously supplied by Tim Hortons and players keep their t-shirts at the end of the season. For their safety players are not allowed to wear any jewellery (earrings, necklaces, bracelets, etc) during games or practices. Taping of jewellery is not sufficient to prevent player injury
Played in-house at the DCC
Highlights of our U8 Program
- Two 55 minute sessions per week.
- 5 - 10 minute warm-up
- 20 - 25 minute of drills and skill exercises
- 20 - 25 minute game
- 5 minute cool down
- Small team roster sizes of about eight players.
- Play will be 5 v 5 including a goalie. Each player has a turn to be in goal. Goalie will be allowed to use hands but must either roll the ball to a team mate or place the ball on the ground and kick the ball.
- Players are encouraged to stay in position and shifts change about every five minutes.
- Each of the two sessions per week will be a combination of skill development drills and a small sided-game
- There will be a U6 Level Coordinator who will assist the coaches with the practice drills.
- Drills will focus on the players getting many touches on the ball and developing the basic soccer skills of ball control, passing and shooting.
- The drop down net will divide the pitch into two fields so that two games can occur simultaneously and use the entire half of the field and one of the goals. The second goal area will be marked on the drop down net. The boards will be in play. The game will help develop and understanding of field positioning and the rules of indoor soccer.
- Team size targets will be adjusted from year to year in order to optimize player development with this new format.
- The coaches will assist on the field during the games.
Remember the most important skill: HAVE FUN!